Who does not love to have long beautiful and healthy hair? Well, I do and I am pretty sure you would too. However, there is no denying the fact that achieving this is not an easy task. You have to take care of your hair; be clear about what hair products you are using and why you are using them. While busy looking for the best hair products to get healthy beautiful hair, we often forget to focus on the most important factor which is food. Yes, food is very important to have healthy hair. In fact, before focusing on hair care products, you should focus on your food habits.
Below is the list of best and worst food items for hair growth.
Foods Good for Hair Growth
- Spinach: Spinach is one of the best food items available out there. It is good for your health, skin, and hair too. It is loaded with a variety of nutrients and minerals which benefits not just your hair but overall health too.
- Guava: Guava is a rich source for Vitamin C which is found to promote significant hair growth according to some studies.
- Lentils: If you are vegetarian, then lentils are one of the best sources of protein which are quite important for hair growth. Apart from protein, lentils are also rich in folic acid which helps your body in making red blood cells (RBCs). It is the RBCs that take oxygen to your scalp, thereby promoting hair growth.
- Blueberries: If you have access to blueberries, then you should definitely include them in your diet. This food item is a rich source of antioxidants that helps in preventing hair loss and improving the health of your scalp.
- Barley: If your hair aim is growth, then you should consume barley from time to time. Wondering why? Well, barley is a rich source of Vitamin E which can actually help in hair growth. Another food item rich in Vitamin E is almond butter.
- Walnuts: Nuts are very good for your overall health out of which walnuts are very good for your hair too. They are loaded with linolenic and alpha-linolenic acids, deficiency of which can lead to hair loss and lightening of hair.
- Chickpeas: While most of the people love chickpeas, some do not. However, if you do not like chickpeas but love healthy hair, then you must include this in your diet. Just like lentils, they are rich in folic acid which helps in promoting hair growth. Moreover, chickpeas are a good source of protein and can be cooked in various delicious ways. So, if you don’t like it in one way, cook it some other way, but do include them in your diet from time to time.
Foods Bad for Hair Growth
- Sugar: Sugar is good for your health, said no one ever. It is bad for your skin, for your body and hair too. No matter how much you love it, if you love yourself more then you need to break up with it. Make the year 2020 the year to get over your love for sugar. Do you need a solid reason for that? Well, here it is. We all know protein is very important for hair growth, right? Well, sugar hinders the absorption of it thereby affecting your hair growth. So, it is better to avoid it. Don’t you think so?
- White Starchy Food: Just like sugar, white starchy food is equally bad for your hair. So, that means you need to keep a distance from pastries, cakes, white bread, white pasta and other refined and over-processed food items. All that is mouth-watering needs to get eliminated from your diet as they cause thinning of hair. Go for whole wheat whenever possible.
- Alcohol: Be it your hair, skin or overall health, alcohol is not at all good for you. In the context of hair, alcohol reduces the zinc level in our body which is very important for having healthy hair. It also dehydrates your body which make your hair more brittle. So, stay away from it if you wish to have healthy and beautiful hair.
- Swordfish: If you love swordfish and beautiful hair too, then there is bad news for you. You will have to stay away from it. Why, you wonder? Swordfish is said to contain higher levels of mercury which can cause hair loss. Thus, for healthy hair and to prevent hair loss, you have to avoid swordfish.
You can use any number of hair products you want to have healthy beautiful hair. However, you should always keep a close watch on what you are eating for quicker results. In fact, if your diet without the right eating habits, even the best of hair care products might fail to give you the desired results.