Frizzy hair is unfortunate and one of the most common struggles faced by many women. And whenever someone is having frizzy hair, the question that comes in her mind is WHY? Well, frizzy hair is commonly caused by humidity or heat. However, sometimes it happens for absolutely no reason at all. Now, that is cruel. But, don’t worry. We are here to provide you with the answer to one of your biggest questions related to hair care. Well, actually 2 –
- Why you get frizzy hair?
- How can you prevent frizzy hair?
Reasons for Frizzy Hair
Frizzy hair occurs when your hair lacks moisture but the weather doesn’t. In order to gain moisture, the outer layers of a hair pick it from the air thereby causing your hair to swell and frizz.
Now, the question is how do hair lose moisture. Well, there are quite a few reasons behind this.
- Using Shampoos with Sulfates – Sulfates can strip natural oils from your hair. These natural oils are important for keeping your hair moisturized, the absence of which is likely to result in frizz.
- Using Hair Products with Alcohol – Like sulfates, alcohol also has the tendency to dry your hair thereby making them prone to frizz.
- Using Hot Water for Hair Wash – Hot water also strips your hair of natural oil which in turn causes dry and damaged hair. So avoid washing your hair with hot water. However, if you live in a cold region and not really comfortable in washing your hair with cold water then you can use warm water but not hot water.
- Drying your Hair with a Towel – Although drying you hair with towel might seem to be the most convenient option, it is not really the right option when you want to avoid frizz. According to sources, towel-drying your hair makes your cuticle rough which in turn can cause your hair to swell and lift up instead of lying flat.
- Minimize Use of Styling Tools – Avoid using styling your hair too often with heating tools like curling iron, flat iron or even hair dryers because heat can take away the natural oils from your hair. If you have to use it, then use it at the lowest setting and also do not forget to apply a thermal protecting serum.
Now when we aware of some of the reasons that cause frizzy hair, let’s see 5 tips to avoid frizzy hair.
- Use a Sulfate-free Shampoo with Glycerine Content – Try to buy a shampoo with glycerine content in it. Glycerine penetrates deep into your hair and hydrates it inside out, thus helps to combat frizzy hair. Also, ensure that it is free from sulfate because of the reason mentioned above.
- Always Use a Conditioner – Many people skip conditioner after shampooing their hair. This is because they underestimate the power of a good conditioner. It keeps your cuticles hydrated and prevents them from opening up.
- Use Hydrating Mask – It is very important to keep your hair hydrated in order to prevent cuticles from opening up to absorb moisture. So use a hydrating mask once a week to keep your hair nourished and moisturized. Also, try to buy a hair mask that contains coconut oil or castor oil or both as they have incredible hydrating properties.
- Use Coconut Oil – Make coconut oil a part of your hair care routine as it is said to possess amazing properties for hair especially when it comes to controlling frizz. You can apply coconut oil on your hair and leave it overnight. Wash in the morning to get smooth, shiny and nourished hair. Alternatively, you can also try Winnie's Candor natural hair oil which is made from all-natural ingredients like coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, dana methi, etc. all of which possess incredible properties for beautiful hair.
- Use Blow Dryer with a Diffuser – Although you should try to avoid blow-drying your hair. However, if you have to then do not use it without a diffuser. This would limit the amount of direct heat hitting your hair, thereby minimizing damage.
Frizzy hair is a big mood-spoiler for girls. But, more often than not it is our own fault which leads to frizzy hair. So, in order to avoid it, we must make its preventive measures a part of our hair care routine.